MRMTA 2019 National Vocal Competition
The MRMTA is happy to host a National Vocal Competition at the 2019 conference. To celebrate our 100th Anniversary and in recognition of the wonderful tradition of singing in Manitoba, our goal is to encourage and contribute to the careers of young, promising singers. Competition prizes totalling $12,250 will be awarded as follows:
- 1st prize - $5,000
- 2nd prize - $3,000
- 3rd prize - $2,000
- Orville J. Derraugh prize - $1,500 - for the best performance of a Canadian composition
- Tiffany A. Wilson prize - $750 - for the best performance sung in Italian
Please note: Any inquiries regarding the MRMTA 2019 National Vocal Competition may be directed to Linda De Pauw, Vocal Competition Chair: email@example.com
Rules and Regulations
1. Competitors in the MRMTA National Semi-Final round of competition must present a programme, 30 to 45 minutes in length, consisting of the following:
- An operatic aria to be sung in the original language and key
- An aria from an oratorio, mass, requiem or cantata to be sung in the original key
- A German lied, French mélodie and English Art Song
- A Canadian Composition (not a folk song arrangement)
- A selection composed in the last 50 years
- A variety of shorter works to form a well balanced programme
2. Three finalists will be selected from the semi-final competition to proceed to the final competition. Each finalist may repeat only ONE selection from the semi-final programme. Time limits: minimum 30 minutes, maximum 45 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: No changes are allowed to either repertoire list after the application is submitted.
3. Competitors must be no more than 27 years of age as of January 1st, 2019. They must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
4. Competitors must be students of a Registered Music Teacher at the time of the application.
5. Each Provincial/Territorial Association may choose, by audition or otherwise ONE competitor who will represent their Province/Territory. Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the financial expenses incurred during the selection of its competitor.
6. Each Provincial/Territorial Association will be responsible for the expenses of its competitor’s travel to and from Winnipeg and for their accommodation and per diem expenses.
7. Application Forms accompanied by the Application Fee ($250) must be received by Linda De Pauw, Chair 2019 National Vocal Competition at 566 Renfrew Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3N 1J7 by May 1st, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
8. The competitors must submit, with their Application Form:
• a Semi-final repertoire list in order of performance with the exact time of each selection
• a Final repertoire list in order of performance with the exact time of each selection
• a resumé (100 – 150 words)
• a colour photo
• a signed media release form
• proof of age and citizenship or landed immigrant status
The repertoire lists, resumé and photograph should also be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. An official accompanist will be provided by the Conference Committee. Competitors wishing to use their own accompanist may do so, at their own expense, and should inform the committee at the time of application.